Imported strings from Google have unwanted quotes

More
8 years 6 months ago #1046 by Frank
Hi,
I imported the CSV file and it imported correctly (only quotes in the middle). Then I exported to Google Spreadsheet and imported back and it was still fine.

One thing I found, is that I'm using the latest 2.6.0f2 (not f1).
I sent the f2 version to the assetstore two weeks ago and it was just today that it was approved.
There were some fixes in this version that could have solved the issue you are seeing.

Can you update to the latest version of the plugin and verify that the issue is still present?
If its still not working for you. Can you check that in an empty project with only the plugin, if you import the csv file you sent me, it shows with the wrong quotes?

Thanks, and sorry for this issues.
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #1047 by wtrebella
Alright, so updating to 2.6.0f2 didn't fix it. I tried the CSV file and it worked fine. So I made a new project and I was going to just try to import the google doc strings from scratch, but I ran across another problem that I forgot I had run into the first time. When I am setting up the webservice and get to step 3 (In the new window that opens, Copy the URL at "Current Web App URL". That URL will have the format: script.google.com/macros/s/XXXXXXXXX/exec ) it doesn't work, because it comes up with this error: "TypeError: Cannot call method "toString" of undefined. (line 50, file "")." Here's a link to my webservice with the error: script.google.com/macros/s/AKfycbwCctemz...Nsk8ujkHFMG3ORX/exec . Maybe this has something to do with it? Because I'm not able to do steps 4 and 5 ("In the menu, select "Run" and then "DoGet"" and "Authorize the script to access your spreadsheets and file date data)").

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Whit

More
8 years 6 months ago #1048 by wtrebella
Ah! I figured out what is causing the issue, even though I don't know why. I'm importing strings that have the Google command UPPER called on them (for example, "=UPPER(B3)"), because I'm using fonts that only have upper case characters in NGUI. Looks like when I remove the UPPER command, the problematic quotes are gone. So for now, I just went through all the strings and converted them using this online tool ( convertcase.net/ ) then repasted them back into the spreadsheet. This resulted in no more rogue quotes! Everything's good now. But that UPPER function might be something to look into.

More
8 years 6 months ago #1049 by Frank

That URL will have the format: script.google.com/macros/s/XXXXXXXXX/exec) it doesn't work, because it comes up with this error: "TypeError: Cannot call method "toString" of undefined. (line 50, file "")."

Thanks for reporting that.
Its not actually a problem but it looks bad so I went ahead and fixed that. If you reinstall the webservice it will be fine now.
Although thats not an issue that will affect anyone. The problem is that the URL is not meant to be called directly, the plugin should call it instead and it supplies a set of parameters for each operation.
But if you call it directly without parameters, it was not validating that there were no actions to perform.
Anyway, its fixed now, when called directly, it will show the version number :-)

Ah! I figured out what is causing the issue, even though I don't know why. I'm importing strings that have the Google command UPPER called on them (for example, "=UPPER(B3)")

That's a bug for sure, will look into it ASAP. I'm managing the GOOGLETRANSLATE function but haven't tried with any other one. Will check and commit an update to the WebService!!

Nonetheless, the plugin has a feature that could turn things into Uppercase automatically. Just select the "Uppercase" option from the Modify popup in the localize component. That way you can reuse terms with different casing on other labels/games that use a bigger character set.

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
8 years 6 months ago #1050 by wtrebella
Oh wow that is awesome about the Uppercase option. Didn't see that before. Thanks so much for all your help!

Whit

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine