IsTouchType check doesn't seem correct for Windows

More
6 years 1 month ago #2815 by studenman
I was looking at the TermData.IsTouchType() method, and I noticed that it doesn't consider laptops like the Microsoft Surface a touch device. These systems would report TRUE for Input.touchSupported. The documentation for this API recommends using this instead of checking the platform target. Perhaps in the editor, though, a check for the mobile device #defines would make sense. Here's my suggested modification:
	public static bool IsTouchType()
	{
		#if UNITY_EDITOR && (UNITY_ANDROID || UNITY_IOS || UNITY_WP8)
			return true;
		#else
			return Input.touchSupported;
		#endif
	}

Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #2816 by Frank
Hi,
Initially I thought on doing something similar. However, the issue is that devices like the Surface support Touch, but also have a keyboard, so, it can be either "Normal" or "Touch" depending on your game.
That's why I have been filtering by platform, and then recommending modifying that function to the way it makes more sense to your game.

Said that, how this system works is going to change in the next release. I'm currently implementing trello.com/c/slJ2P9aM/3-extend-input-specialization
Which allows you setting your own Specializations (not just for input, it can be anything e.g. Steam, Oculus, Vive, etc). As part of that, you have a way to detect and decide what Specialization is enabled based on your game conditions.
I will be giving more details as soon as I have the first beta of that ready.

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
The following user(s) said Thank You: studenman

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #2817 by studenman
You have my up-vote on custom specializations. Would be nice to be able to disable or remove the ones we don't use, for example Xbox, to reduce GUI clutter.

Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by studenman.

More
6 years 1 month ago #2818 by Frank
Yes, its all configurable, you select the list of specializations you want and can easily override when they are selected. Also, there is no need to change the plugin code, its really easy to plug the changes.

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
The following user(s) said Thank You: studenman

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine